2/18/2012

What I want to be

When I was younger, I had many ideas of what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wanted to be a firefighter, doctor, nurse, massage therapist, and veterinarian. Now that I have matured more, I finally figured out what I want to be:  a preschool teacher. One person who helped me see this is my mom. She helped me in three ways: showing me how fun it can be to learn, seeing the joy you get when you teach someone, and how you can have a love of  teaching and learning.
                        When I was in the 7th grade I was pulled out from public school to be home schooled.  At first I thought it would just be playtime, but it sure wasn't. I found something I didn't think I would; my mom was so smart. I hadn't realized how smart she was and how teaching and learning could be fun. Mom showed me that to be a teacher you had to be organized and understanding. One time I didn't do well on a paper I wrote for her, and she sat down with me and we talked over what I did wrong and we figured out a solution.  My mom had gone to college and taught school for a few years, and I was so impressed how intelligent she was. I wanted to be just like her, I wanted to teach and help others learn.
                        One day when I was being taught in a subject, I can remember the joy and happiness my mom felt when I understood the concept she was teaching to me. Mom always would try to make hard concepts easier and simpler for me to learn. When I volunteered at a children's museum I got so happy to teach a little girl how to make a craft. She smiled and got excited when she figured out how to do it. That had made my day!  She had learned something I taught her! This really helped me realized that I wanted to be a teacher. I wanted that joy day in and out.
                        My mom always is learning new things. From a new event in history to a new stitch in sewing, she loves to learn. Mom has a desire to learn more and then teach others what she learned. When I was little she taught me how to make pancakes. It may seem like a little thing but I was so happy she had taught me something that she did all the time. My mom is currently helping me learn how to drive and she gets so excited when I figure out how to do something. I've seen her get excited when I get the spark that I have learned or caught on to something.  I want to be able to see the spark in a young child's mind that happens when he or she learns.
                        I want to be just like my mom, educated and be able to teach others. I hope to be able to show others what I have learned. Seeing others get the spark of learning makes me happy and I want to do that year long!

No comments:

Post a Comment